You hear a beeping noise coming from your Rinnai tankless water heater, and when you investigate you find that it’s displaying error code 17.
This error isn’t even listed in the owner’s manual or manufacturer’s troubleshooting guide… Don’t worry you’re not alone – many homeowners have encountered this frustrating issue and it’s easy to fix.
In this article, we’ll show you how to fix Rinnai error code 17 in just a few simple steps. By taking a few minutes to read this article, you’ll be able to get your water heater back up and running in no time.
3 Fixes For Error Code 17 At A Glance
How To Fix Rinnai Error Code 17
Fix #1 Reset the Water Heater
- Open the water heater: The first step in fixing Rinnai error code 17 is to access the inside of the water heater. To do this, locate the front panel of the unit and remove it by unscrewing the screws holding it in place.
- Press and hold the two reset buttons: Once you have removed the front panel, you will see two small buttons labeled “Priority” and “Combustion.” Press both buttons simultaneously and hold them down until the letter “P” appears where the error code was previously displayed.
- Release buttons then press both buttons again: Once you see the letter “P,” release both buttons and then press them again simultaneously. Hold both buttons down until the letter “P” disappears, and the beeping sound stops.
- Power cycle unit: When the unit is displaying the temperature again (a number in the 100s), power cycle the unit by turning it off and then back on again. After the unit has restarted, the error code should be cleared, and the water heater should function correctly.
Fix #2 Venturi Blockage
Rinnai error code 17 typically occurs on Rinnai models equipped with venturi control and switch. This error code indicates a blockage or restriction in the venturi. To resolve the Rinnai error code 17, follow these steps:
- Clean and Remove Build-ups: Carefully clean the venturi and check for any obstructions or deposits that may be causing the blockage. Use a soft brush or cloth to remove any debris or buildup. Ensure that the venturi is free from any restrictions that could impede the proper flow of air or gas.
- Verify Error Resolution: After cleaning the venturi, restart the Rinnai unit and check if the error code 17 persists. If the error disappears, the issue was likely due to the venturi blockage, and your Rinnai system should resume normal operation.
- Seek Professional Assistance: If error code 17 persists even after cleaning the venturi, it is recommended to seek the help of a certified technician. They have the expertise to diagnose and resolve complex issues related to Rinnai systems. Alternatively, you can contact Rinnai customer support for further assistance.
By following these steps and ensuring proper maintenance of the venturi, you can address the Rinnai error code 17 and ensure the optimal functioning of your Rinnai unit.
Fix #3 Flush Your Water Heater
Rinnai error code 17 can be caused by scale interfacing with the calibration of your Rinnai temperature sensor. Because of this one of the possible fixes for code 17 can be to flush the unit.
- Power Off: Turn off the power source for your Rinnai tankless hot water heater.
- Connect Hoses: Attach hoses to the cold water inlet and hot water outlet.
- Mix Vinegar Solution: Create a solution of equal parts vinegar and water.
- Flush: Open the cold water inlet valve and circulate the vinegar solution for 45 minutes.
- Drain: Close the inlet valve, open the hot water outlet valve, and drain the vinegar solution.
- Flush with Water: Close the outlet valve, open the inlet valve, and let clean water flow through briefly.
- Restore Power: Turn on the power supply for the heater.
By following these steps, you can quickly and effectively flush your Rinnai tankless hot water heater, and hopefully remove any scale build-up on the temperature sensor. To learn how to flush your Rinnai in more detail please check out our article here.
In conclusion, encountering error code 17 on your Rinnai tankless water heater can be frustrating, especially when it’s not documented in the owner’s manual. But fear not! We’ve provided you with quick and effective fixes to get your hot water flowing again.